Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jambo Everyone,

  Today I will show you my humble abode. It is nice and comfortable, well that is after I cleaned, rearranged, put blankets on the mattress, so I can sleep ( too hard ) and used bug stuff that Mike gave me.My back screen door has no screen so I have a fly swatter that gets used daily and I have the doors open when I am here as it is beautiful.

 Yesterday I went again to Nairobi to shop for furnishings for the faculty lounge and the computer department. For those of you that have never been here, the traffic is horrid, you are in a constant traffic jam. There are no traffic lights or stop signs, so everyone just goes where ever they want. If you get into a grid lock usually a person walking on the side walk comes in and tells everyone how to maneuver to get out of it. I asked why no lights and they said the power fails so much it would mess up the lights and no one would pay attention to them anyway. Oh yes, police, no not so much and usually only walking.  So from 9:00am to 6:30 pm we shopped and I did get a lot of estimates on almost everything I need to submit to the VC. 
 Tomorrow I move furniture in the computer lab and take more measurements. This is a huge undertaking and one I won't finish by the time I leave. As the VC said she wants a plan for the whole university and if I can even when I get back to US still work on it so they can implement a little at a time when they get money to do it. So I may just have to come back in a couple of years.
 Hope I can build up my frequent flier miles.

Something of interest, the VC up until a month ago was the head consultant to the President of Kenya. She is an incredible woman that has fought her way to the top. She is also the first Kenyan woman to hold this high of an office.

  Well must close for now and get dinner and also out of drinking water have to take my jugs and fill up.


Kwahari,
Sharon






















No comments:

Post a Comment